Visit SadieBess Handpicked Vintage on Etsy

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Fixing a Sweater Snag

Over the last few years, I've come up with lots of ways to fix little issues in vintage pieces that were otherwise fabulous. Today I thought I'd share one of my methods for repairing a snagged sweater. Sometimes, if you have a small snag, you can just hold the sweater a few inches to either side of the snag, and tug the garment horizontally, vertically, and diagonally of the weave and the snagged fiber will move back into place.

In the case of this Alpaca sweater, however, just a part of the twist of yarn has come loose and is sticking out of the front of the cardigan. No biggie! All I needed to fix this problem was a needle and thread.

First, I threaded the needle, then tied the end of the thread around stray fibers.


Then I poked the needle through the sweater, taking care to follow the direction the of rest of the yarn.


After the stray fibers have been threaded through to the back, the sweater looks like new again, but you need to take further steps to make sure it stays that way...


Next I threaded the renegade fibers through a small piece of yarn on the wrong side of the weave. If the thread slips off the snagged piece at any time during the process, no worries, just re-tie it.



Lastly I just tied the loose fibers to a piece of yarn on the wrong side by double (and triple!) knotting thread around them both. 


Trim the thread, and voilá!

Vintage 90s Tribal Inca Design Peruvian Alpaca Cardigan

No comments:

Post a Comment